APOLLO is a digital insurance company. Our platform, the APOLLO Exchange, launched in 2019 and now offers the largest selection of online insurance for small businesses in Canada. We recently launched renters insurance and continue to rapidly expand our product offering. The Exchange reduces what can commonly be a painful weeks-long process of back and forth into simple and immediate digital fulfillment. Five minutes is all it takes to get covered, 24/7, from anywhere and any device.
The APOLLO values are Courage, Adventure, Integrity, Candor and Desire. APOLLO is a team of empowered and driven individuals who embody these values and have the desire to build a great company. This position offers a chance for the right applicant to make a name for themselves with a rising company on the forefront of the digital innovation of a global, $5 trillion dollar industry.
Director of Commercial Lines develops new insurance products and manages existing products in the commercial space, including, but not limited to, Property and Casualty package products for contractors, retail/wholesale, manufacturing, and various other small business industries. You will lead activities related to the overall management of these product lines, maintain and develop contracts and facilities with our insurer partners and build out the digital insurance products along with our development team. Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to People Leadership, Bordereaux, Product Iteration, product analysis, renewal negotiation, auditing and exception referrals.
As the Commercial Lines Director, your core deliverables rely on executing sound underwriting strategy on a portfolio basis and individual basis (when needed), developing innovative and marketable products, and coordinating with the various APOLLO Teams to develop an effective go to market strategy for the products. Experience with digital delivery of products and tech savvy skills are assets as you will be translating the underwriting process into a digital platform. Your role may involve sharing subject matter expertise to others in the organization or supporting others in their efforts to deliver on our promise of exceptional service that is not bound by the restrictions of antiquated processes and technology. You will be in the forefront in the Canadian insurance industry to proliferate e-commerce in the Commercial Insurance space.
If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, can bring creative solutions to your work, and have the desire to lead an industry forward with a high-performing team, this is the opportunity for you. #tothemoon
- Competitive salary & bonus
- Development programs
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Generous vacation policy
- Extended medical, Dental and Vision care
- Wellness program
- Work from home flexibility
- Central Gastown office location just blocks from seabus terminal
- Service and manage a portfolio of Commercial Lines business which includes, but not limited to, audits, negotiating contract renewals, and portfolio analysis;
- May review/approve referrals from underwriting staff where a higher level of authority is required.
- May have responsibility for performance and coaching of staff and may have a participatory role in decisions regarding talent selection, development, and performance management for direct reports.
- Serves as a business liaison, contact and technical resource on underwriting policies, guidelines, and processes. Providing exceptional service to our suppliers, brokers and internal stakeholders;
- Analyze and report identified results, outstanding issues, industry trends and business opportunities. Recommends and leads in the implementation of new/revised policy language, endorsements, and underwriting procedures to ensure appropriate legal review, as well as confirming forms and system modifications are completed accurately.
- Analyze and execute on new product opportunities and innovation/iteration on existing products which includes, but is not limited to expansion of eligible classes, the development of add-on coverages, executing on R&D, and executing on new product roll-out;
- Compile and summarize policy information to analyze renewal of programs;
- Record underwriting information for the purpose of evaluation, assessment, audit and profitability;
- Coordinating with the in-house APOLLO teams to implement go to market strategies;
- Establishing and maintaining a budget for the Apollo Specialty Lines segment;
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in Commercial Insurance Underwriting
- University or College degree is preferred
- CIP/CRM or working towards one of these designations is required
- Self-motivated and naturally enthusiastic
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Prioritize competing requirements and deadlines under pressure
- Team player who is also independent
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Slack, and G-Suite products
- Ability to make decisions and have strong problem solving skills
APOLLO believes in a team approach where all members have equal opportunity to voice ideas to advance the agenda of the Company and its clients. Working well in a team, taking initiative, and possessing a desire for greatness is important. Must have excellent communication skills and an ability to collaborate effectively to move the best ideas forward.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Location: Remote anywhere in Canada